Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mallia

Favourite animal books?

10 posts in this topic

Since Richard Adams, author of Watership Down, has just died I thought this might be topical. Watership Down was easily my favourite fictional book about animals, so what are your favourite animal stories or books about them?

I'm into the classics, so Tarka the Otter and The Incredible Journey are two of my favourites. It's strange seeing them on film because Tarka had such a faithful film adaptation, but the Incredible Journey became the very different Homeward Bound.

Edited by Mallia

3 hours ago, PizzaMan said:

Does the Jungle book count?

I don't think so but who knows. Mallia will tell you if it does or not.

Rascal by Sterling North is probably my all time favorite animal book.  Following closely is Summer of the Monkeys.  It is hilarious.  Jane Goodall's book about the Apes is a great one too.  I would count the Jungle Book in there too.  Why not? 

14 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I don't think so but who knows. Mallia will tell you if it does or not.

The actual book, with Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, and Kotik the White Seal? That definitely counts! Those are definitely animal stories, and Mowgli is definitely not the only talking creature in the titular story. (Can you tell I love the book?)

I am not sure if I have read any all out 'animal' books. I will have to think about that. I am sure I have at some point in my life but I don't remember.

Oh no! I had no idea that he passed away. I'm sad to hear that!

I don't know if this counts, because it's about anthropomorphic animals, but I was always a huge fan of a series by another British author, Brian Jacques, called Redwall. I have almost all of his books from the Redwall series, and I remember my favourite was Mossflower. They were pretty epic, and they also got a cartoon adaptation, like Watership Down did.

My favorite will always be the James Herriot series of books. His narration of how life is as a country vet is so hilarious it will have you in stitches from the first page to the last. 

19 hours ago, 10kStars said:

Oh no! I had no idea that he passed away. I'm sad to hear that!

I don't know if this counts, because it's about anthropomorphic animals, but I was always a huge fan of a series by another British author, Brian Jacques, called Redwall. I have almost all of his books from the Redwall series, and I remember my favourite was Mossflower. They were pretty epic, and they also got a cartoon adaptation, like Watership Down did.

Some of my students got into the Redwall books and couldn't put them down.  I love it when a kid can't put down a book.  Does my heart good.  Another series that I thought of after my post above is Bunnicula.  It's about a Dog, cat and a vampire bunny.  It's narrated by the dog and is absolutely hilarious.  The thing that draws me to these books is that I have a cat just like the one in the book.  If you're in for a short, funny ready, give it a ry. 

14 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Some of my students got into the Redwall books and couldn't put them down.  I love it when a kid can't put down a book.  Does my heart good.  Another series that I thought of after my post above is Bunnicula.  It's about a Dog, cat and a vampire bunny.  It's narrated by the dog and is absolutely hilarious.  The thing that draws me to these books is that I have a cat just like the one in the book.  If you're in for a short, funny ready, give it a ry. 

Yeah! That was exactly like me. I always hated reading before I got into Redwall, but once I found out about them, I couldn't put them down!

Ah, I actually have read some of the Bunnicula books. Howliday Inn was the first one I read, and I like it alot! They were funny books, and I often thought that I should finish reading the rest of the series.

Recently I found out that Bunnicula actually got a cartoon adaptation as well! I haven't seen it yet, but I'm going to try watching it, and see if I like it as much as the books.