Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GuitarGuy

Do you play any instruments?

14 posts in this topic

Do you play any instruments and what instruments do you play? How long have you been playing for?

I can play the trumpet and the guitar. Guitar is my main instrument as that is what I went to college for. I am a guitar teacher for my full time job. I just love the guitar and helping people get better with their guitar skills.

Sadly, I have zero musical ability. My husband plays drums and can strum around on the guitar a bit and, thankfully, our daughter has inherited his ear for music. She's taken two years of piano lessons and just recently started drum lessons. It amazes me what she is able to pick up by ear alone.

49 minutes ago, SandraDee said:

Sadly, I have zero musical ability. My husband plays drums and can strum around on the guitar a bit and, thankfully, our daughter has inherited his ear for music. She's taken two years of piano lessons and just recently started drum lessons. It amazes me what she is able to pick up by ear alone.

That is great to hear about your daughter. Not many people can play that good just by ear alone. I encourage her if she isn't already to start reading music as well as that will take her level of skill way up there and can be even more creative when it comes to music.

I have always wondered how people "learn" to play drums. It isn't musical and it's more beat driven. I see someone having to have a feel for beats in order to do drums well.

9 hours ago, The North said:

I have always wondered how people "learn" to play drums. It isn't musical and it's more beat driven. I see someone having to have a feel for beats in order to do drums well.

Drums is not musical? Drummers have to know how to read music and rhythms just as much as other music instruments do :) I do agree though that someone does have to have a feel for the beat to help out.

I come from a very musical family. Unfortunately, I do not play an instrument at all. However, this talent did skip my generation and go straight for my children. My 22 year old son is an amazing acoustic and electric guitar player and he is learning to play piano. My 14 year old daughter is on her 4th year of playing drums in her high school band and she is learning piano as well.

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎25 at 10:37 AM, PizzaMan said:

I am not musically inclined at all. I would rather listen to music instead.

I am the same. I don't want to put the work into music. I would rather have fun doing other stuff like playing sports, video games,  posting on forums, etc.

I would love to be able to play some sort of instrument. When you have been raised around musically talented people all your life like I have, you kind of feel left out when they all get together to play music.

On 28 October 2016 at 8:18 PM, The North said:

I used to play drums, before we moved into a flat and the neighbours complained! It is definitely musical, not just about beat, as each drum in a set has a different tone, and it can even change depending on how and where you hit the surface. You do need a good sense of timing though, especially when the drums are keeping time for the rest of an ensemble or you can get chaos.

So the different sounds a drum makes depends on the key in which a song is being played? I'm not thinking of another reason why a drummer would need to read music.

Can I hire you to teach me guitar haha?
I have a guitar, and I've always wanted to learn how to play it, but I just don't have the knack for it at all.
What I can play however, is a super annoying instrument called the ocarina. It's not cool at all, and the sound it makes is a little bit shrill, but somehow it's still fun to play. I tried playing the piano too, but again, I just have no talent for it. 

3 hours ago, 10kStars said:

Can I hire you to teach me guitar haha?
I have a guitar, and I've always wanted to learn how to play it, but I just don't have the knack for it at all.
What I can play however, is a super annoying instrument called the ocarina. It's not cool at all, and the sound it makes is a little bit shrill, but somehow it's still fun to play. I tried playing the piano too, but again, I just have no talent for it. 

That would be cool to be able to teach you the guitar! lol if only!