Sheldon

Advice for would-be Vegans

7 posts in this topic

What advice would you give someone who was looking to stop eating meat and meat products, and yet still get all the healthy nutrients that they used to get from those foods? 

I'm not a vegan, but I have been a vegetarian for almost 25 years. When I began my journey, Google wasn't the handy dandy thing it is today, so I went out and bought a bunch of books. I also subscribed to a couple vegetarian magazines. Now that we have the world at our fingertips, I would suggest a lot of reading and research, not just about the health aspect of it, but also a search for recipes that you may want to try. If you don't like what you're eating, the transition won't be successful.

On 11/9/2016 at 9:45 AM, Sheldon said:

What advice would you give someone who was looking to stop eating meat and meat products, and yet still get all the healthy nutrients that they used to get from those foods? 

I have never considered staying away from meat and its products but I think it is achievable, as evidenced by Sandra, and clearly there is no better person to get advice from, than someone who has been a vegetarian for such a long time.

I guess this will need a lot of research. I feel it is really important to keep getting the same nutrients so that the body doesn't suffer from the transition from meat-eater to vegetarian.

This is some good advice. I have never heard of it before. Maybe I will have to try doing it some day to see how I feel and such.

I'm not a vegan myself, but I have friends and acquaintances who are vegan. 

I guess the main concerns for vegan diets are getting enough iron, protein, vitamin B-12 and zinc. That's because heme iron, for example, (which is more easily absorbed by the body) and vitamin B-12 can't be obtained in any amount from plant-based foods. I believe only certain types of algae contain vitamin B-12, but obviously no one's going to eat that lol.

So I guess, like everyone else has said, you should research what nutrients are missing from a vegan diet, and then acquire them by way of supplements.

I'm not vegan but I work with a few. I'd suggest starting by going vegetarian first, and then once you have a balanced vegetarian diet, see how easily you can move to eliminate the remaining animal products. Remember, going full vegan also means avoiding animal products in other parts of your life, like leather, etc.

The main problem with supplements is making sure that they are also vegan. One popular multi-vitamin contains gelatin, from cows, as a bonding agent. You'll need to learn to check ingredients lists very carefully.