Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sheldon

Interesting vegetables

3 posts in this topic

I would like to know how to make vegetables more appealing to a six year old. I have found that when I make the food visually interesting, she is more likely to eat and finish than when the food looks ordinary and plain. What new things can I try with vegs to encourage her to eat more of them?

You can lay the food out in faces etc to make them more palatable. From babysitting, I noticed children tend to like messes, so asparagus or sliced carrot and cucumber can be sold by offering dipping and dunking options. Just be careful they don't learn to flick the stalks, or food fights can result! I never had trouble selling them on pickled beetroot because of the really red colour. Mind you, I also ended up selling them on vegetables around Halloween by giving all the veggies disgusting names. Pickled Onions were yuck, but picked eyeballs were delicious!

I would say try and hide it in foods such as casserole dishes, pasta, soups, etc. It makes things a little easier for when they eat vegetables.