Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nyx

'Mind' sports

9 posts in this topic

Sport is no longer limited to physical activities. Nowadays, chess and bridge are acknowledged internationally as 'mind sports'. Such unique term. I can't really consider them as sports even until today. Do you play any of this mind sport?

I play chess with my daughter periodically, but I don't consider it a sport. I can't see a gallery of people sitting around watching two people compete for a prize while playing chess. "Rook to Bishop 7" and the crowd cheers. Sorry, I just can't see that.

14 hours ago, The North said:

I play chess with my daughter periodically, but I don't consider it a sport. I can't see a gallery of people sitting around watching two people compete for a prize while playing chess. "Rook to Bishop 7" and the crowd cheers. Sorry, I just can't see that.

It does actually happen in chess tournaments, like the Grandmaster competitions where the rules are incredibly strict and there are anti-doping regulations. It is even televised. I have to say, I don't see the appeal, but then I'm not a good chess player.

Mind Sports is an interesting term, but it is pretty new and none of the ones suggested really seem to be spectator sports. Speed Reading, for example? I can see the contest of skill, but not the appeal to an audience.

I play Chess but I wouldn't call it a sport. To me it's a game. A mind sport to me would be something like baseball where there is a lot of thinking involved on every pitch and every play.

On 1/10/2017 at 2:09 AM, Mallia said:

there are anti-doping regulations.

What? Anti-doping? What on earth could a chess player possibly take to make his or her performance in an activity like this better? That just boggles my mind.

But, like you, I'm not a chess fanatic so I wouldn't know these things. I can understand that people are very passionate about this game, and passion leads to the serious nature of things.

Now that I know about this, it might be interesting to actually watch a tournament. I do play once in a  great while and I do like chess, but this takes it to a level I'm not used to.

'Mind sport' is actually a term I picked up from Wikipedia. That's how chess and the rest are categorized. Japan even has a card game named karuta which can be played in tournaments and is considered a sport. I suppose they need good physical condition to keep the brain working, thus the doping.

13 hours ago, The North said:

What? Anti-doping? What on earth could a chess player possibly take to make his or her performance in an activity like this better? That just boggles my mind.

I'm not kidding. The anti-doping rules are here and they are 73 pages long, not including the banned substances list. I did ask a chess player once and he said most cheats' drug of choice was speed, or anything that can speed up the way a person's brain works over the several hours of a tournament, because play is timed. I would have thought the jitters from trying to sit still on it would have given it away...

Edited by Mallia
1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Nyx said:

'Mind sport' is actually a term I picked up from Wikipedia. That's how chess and the rest are categorized. Japan even has a card game named karuta which can be played in tournaments and is considered a sport. I suppose they need good physical condition to keep the brain working, thus the doping.

That makes sense. There are some drugs out there that keeps the brain sharp so they would have to test for that. Other ways would be read a lot of books, exercise, etc.

On 1/12/2017 at 0:28 AM, Mallia said:

I'm not kidding. The anti-doping rules are here and they are 73 pages long, not including the banned substances list. I did ask a chess player once and he said most cheats' drug of choice was speed, or anything that can speed up the way a person's brain works over the several hours of a tournament, because play is timed. I would have thought the jitters from trying to sit still on it would have given it away...

Well, I guess speed does make sense. I always thought of performance enhancing drugs as drugs that enhance physical performance, not mental.

Thanks for dragging me out from under my rock on this one. I never would have known any this in my old-fashioned state of mind.