Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Janella

Unlocking A Prepaid Cell Phone

4 posts in this topic

I have a really nice cell phone my daughter traded me for another phone that is locked on Boost Mobile. Unfortunately, Boost Mobile does not get good service in my area where I live out in the country. There is another carrier I know of that I can get good service here at home with. I called Boost Mobile and they will only unlock the phone if it had service for a year straight with no interruptions. Of course, this phone has not because my daughter changes prepaid cell phones like she changes socks. Is there any way I can get this phone unlocked so I can have it on a carrier that will actually work for me from home?

I could be wrong, but I think Verizon and Sprint have the best coverage areas in the U.S. I live out in the country too, and Verizon has never let me down while their tech support is outstanding. I would look into them or Sprint to get your phone unlocked. They can seemingly work magic for the purpose of getting a person to sign up with them.

If you have any second-hand phone or electronics shops near you, they might be able to unlock it. It's something they often have to do for phones traded in to them. Otherwise it is worth checking google with the phones model and make and the phrase "unlocking" or "unlock code". Some manufacturers actually provide details on how to do this for their phones, for people who get stuck with a phone they can't use. Contacting the manufacturer was how I solved a similar problem when my old carrier ceased trading and my phone was left locked to them, so it was unusuable.

I caved and went ahead and reactivated the phone on Boost Mobile. As I expected it has no service at all when I am home. However, the service is decent when I am closer to town. I may check with some local electronic shops to see if it can be unlocked. If this can't be done, I may sell the phone and try to get another that is activated on AT&T instead.