Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nyx

Anthology books

7 posts in this topic

Have you ever considered this type of book for your taste? It can be a poem anthology or short story anthology. I'm kind of inspired to try one because it looks unique. It's as if there is a special thing for everyday in life, if that makes any sense.

I always enjoyed sci-fi anthologies. When I was younger the short story collections seemed a good way of getting a lot of stories for one book. When I was older and went back to look at them, I was amazed at how many of the stories I remembered had been written by authors whose names I had discovered later through longer works.

Do you prefer collections written by one author, or selections of stories or poems by multiple authors?  I tend to prefer the later just because it is amazing how many different ideas writers can have if they are given the same one-line prompt.

I've read a few anthologies and my favorites are the ones with multiple authors. I find it very interesting to read these short stories by different authors on similar topics. A lot of romance novels do this. The only anthology I've read outside of romance novels is the one by Stephen King called "Different Seasons".

18 hours ago, Mallia said:

Do you prefer collections written by one author, or selections of stories or poems by multiple authors?  I tend to prefer the later just because it is amazing how many different ideas writers can have if they are given the same one-line prompt.

The anthologies I've read so far are all by different authors. I can pick up some interesting names to check in the future, which greatly expands my knowledge. I'm planning to buy a book of quotes by one local author I really like whom I found from the anthology book.

When I was a kid, I used to read ghost story anthologies a lot. My sister has always been into horror, so she owned quite a few. They're probably still my favourite kind of anthology.

I guess most recently, I read an anthology of fairy tales for one of my college courses, and an anthology of Edgar Allen Poe's work just for fun.

On 1/5/2017 at 11:30 PM, 10kStars said:

When I was a kid, I used to read ghost story anthologies a lot. My sister has always been into horror, so she owned quite a few. They're probably still my favourite kind of anthology.

I guess most recently, I read an anthology of fairy tales for one of my college courses, and an anthology of Edgar Allen Poe's work just for fun.

I think it would be interesting to collect books on fairy tales or bedtime stories. There are so many variations to what we used to know as kids. I don't normally like horror stories, but I'll take gloomy editions of those fairy tales gladly.

17 hours ago, Nyx said:

I think it would be interesting to collect books on fairy tales or bedtime stories. There are so many variations to what we used to know as kids. I don't normally like horror stories, but I'll take gloomy editions of those fairy tales gladly.

I totally agree with you. I'm not a big fan of horror stories but I'm fine with the gloomy editions of the fairy tales and such.