Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vinnie

Ankle issues

5 posts in this topic

Back in 2009, I was involved in a horrific car accident. (Not my fault).  I now have a "bionic" ankle with 9 screws and a plate.  1st option was to amputate but they managed to save it.  I now walk with a cane.  Very blessed to be walking at all but I have to do a lot of sitting.  Riding bikes, walking....anything involving the ankle is out of the question.  What would you suggest in the way of exercise?  I really need to lose some of this weight I have managed to accumulate since '09. 

Oh wow, that sounds horrible. I'm so sorry to hear about your accident, it must have been very traumatising, but I'm glad you're up and walking again.

I'm not a fitness expert, but although you can't do cardio exercises, there should still be plenty of calisthenics you could perform without using your ankle. Things like sit-ups, pull-ups, crunches, leg raises and calf raises would probably be more suitable for you. You could probably also manage some weight-lifting and certain yoga positions.

1 person likes this

I would go see a personal trainer, explain everything and see what kind of exercises they have for you to do to help with that ankle or not to use it at all.

I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that. It sounds tough but your pushing through which is great!

1 person likes this

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I have thought about the personal trainer GuitarGuy.  Just been putting it off.  I really could do the floor exercises 10kStars.  I will have to figure out some way to get down and up off the floor.  Maybe use a chair to help?  Again,  thanks for the suggestions. 

I'm so sorry you've had to go through this Vinnie. My husband has had Rheumatoid Arthritis for almost 15 years now and he has had both knees and both elbows replaced. Now, his left ankle gives him fits and swells and turns outward on him terribly if he stands or drives for only an hour or so. He may have to get it replaced as well. There may be some lifting machines in your local gym that allow you to work out while sitting. These help build strength in the legs and can help tone muscles without putting pressure on your ankles. I agree that a personal trainer would be the best option to find out for sure which exercises would be best for you.