Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GuitarGuy

Peeling Garlic

7 posts in this topic

For some reason the video is unavailable GuitarGuy.  I'll bet it's where you smash the garlic with the flat edge of a knife and then peel it.  Right???  I've done that before and it really does work.  Give it a try. 

That's exactly what I do, Vinnie. It makes peeling garlic so much easier. Now if only there was a way to cut it without my hands smelling like garlic for hours afterward. 

Smashing it first with a knife does the trick.

I've never had a problem peeling garlic, possibly because I've been using it in cooking since I was a child so I've had a lot of practice. I've never seen it smashed first though. I normally just peel it with a small knife, although I have found that using one with a thick, stubby, blade and blunt tip helps, otherwise the outer skin tends to shred instead of lifting away cleanly. If you start on the flat side of each clove, splitting it near the outer curve and get the knife flat between it and the clove, you can get the skin off in one piece, which saves on the mess because it is so crackly.

I couldn't find the video; it looks like it has been deleted. Anyway, I hate peeling garlic when it's too small. So I started looking for bigger cloves; they are definitely easier to peel.

The video above might have gone, but there's also this technique which I have never tried: take two bowls, put the garlic in one and put the other bowl on top. Then shake vigorously until the sound changes and bingo, perfectly peeled cloves. I might have to give that a try because it contains the mess so neatly, and it looks like a lot of fun!