10kStars

Have you ever built your own computer?

6 posts in this topic

A lot of my friends have built PCs for themselves or their family members, and at first I thought it was something that only people like them (guys who know a lot about computers) could do. When I was considering buying a new PC though, I found it surprising when other people I know (who don't seem especially good with computers), mentioned that they had built their own too.

Have you ever built your own PC? Do you think it's something that most people could do?

I have never built my own computer. I thought about doing it but then I realized, wouldn't it be more expensive to build your own computer than buying one already built?

It probably would GG. We would have to buy parts individually that would cost more than they would for a company that can buy them in bulk.

No, I don't think I'll ever try either. It would end up looking like something out of a Frankenstein movie.

It's all I can do to de-frag what I do have.

I don't know much about building computers, and I think that the only reason I would attempt to build one myself would be if I really, really had to - maybe for financial reasons if it was cheaper to build or something like that. Otherwise, it would just be a stress for me to try that. 

Yes, I've built a couple of mine and it isn't that hard. The tricky bit, which I sometimes get someone to do for me, is installing the motherboard and processor in the case because different processors need different cooling etc. Basic upgrades like memory are easy to do, and can keep a computer running so you don't have to buy a new PC, which is a lot cheaper.

If you know where to go for parts and check deals it can be a good deal cheaper to build your own, particularly if you already have a licence and install discs for the OS. The downside is there is no warranty if a part goes wrong.